Standardization is a key strategic activity for high technology companies : it allows to exploit the innovation produced and accelerate release and success of product deployment. However the right strategy has to be chosen according to the short and long term objectives, and the following questions have to be asked :
– What technologies can be standardized ? What are the associated resources and cost ?
– What is the right strategy for standardization ? What Standard Development organisation(s) or fora are appropriate ?
– What is the IPR strategy for standard ? What alliance to make ?
– How to maximize the chance of having standard contributions approved ?
Thus, this is what we propose:
- Evaluation of company assets and identification of strategic actions towards standardization
- Matching of IPR and standardization strategies
- Survey in standards and strategy
- Executing the standardization strategy for the company (representation and contribution in standard bodies)